'Ohana Bread Pudding Recipe...Oh yeah!
When I rave to people about 'Ohana's Bread Pudding, they typically tell me that they don't like bread pudding and seem skeptical. Well, I don't usually like bread pudding either, but 'Ohana's version is Ah-mazing! Maybe it has something to do with the banana foster sauce. All I know is that if you are eating dinner at 'Ohana, it is important that you save room for this delicious treat. There are many versions of this recipe floating around, but this is the "official" recipe from Disney. Enjoy!
BREAD PUDDING 5 eggs 3 cups whole milk 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1 1/2 cup sugar 8 cups french or challah bread
1. In bowl mix eggs, milk, salt, sugar, and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. Cut bread in medium (usually 2-inch) pieces and place on cookie sheet pan. Put in 350 degree oven.
3. Bake bread until lightly toasted: about 15 minutes. Remove bread and place in egg and milk mixture.
4. Place mixture in a greased 10-inch cake pan, and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
5. Let stand 5 minutes; serve hot with ice cream.
BANANAS FOSTER SAUCE 4 oz sugar 4 oz brown sugar 4 oz corn syrup 4 oz unsalted butter 1 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup spiced rum 1 cup banana slices
1. Combine sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and half of heavy cream in a large pan. Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.
2. Add spiced rum and flambe.
3. Candy will brown slightly; cook 3 minutes until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Add sliced bananas. Serve warm.