Le Cellier's Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
Soup season is nearly over, but trust me...you need to make this today! Le Cellier is a signature restaurant (2 table service credits if you are on the Disney Dining Plan) in Epcot's Canada pavilion. The soup is so popular that they have also started offering at the Refreshment Port just inside of World Showcase. Hello, snack credit! In the fall, you can also grab a small portion of the soup at the Canada booth during the International Food & Wine Festival. Bon Appetit!
½ Pound applewood smoked Bacon (cut into ½” pieces)
4 tbl butter
1 Diced red onion (about 1 cup)
3 Diced celery stalks (about 1 cup)
1 c all purpose flour
3 c chicken stock
4 c whole milk
1 Pound aged white Cheddar cheese (shaved or grated)
1 tbl salt (to taste)
1 tbl pepper
1 tbl worcestershire sauce
1 tbl tobasco sauce
1 c warm beer
1. In a large soup pot render down the bacon. All you are looking to do here is to liquefy the fat in the bacon, you are not trying to brown it.
2. Add the butter and melt it.
3. Add the onion and celery; sauté until onions to start to get translucent.
4. Dust this with flour and mix to form a roux. Keep stirring until all of the flour has been incorporated.
5. Add chicken stock, slowly, while constantly stirring. You are looking for something resembling a gravy at this point. It’s going to be very thick.
6. Next add milk, again slowly, while constantly stirring. This should significantly lighten up your soup at this point.
7. Turn heat up slightly. Add cheese very slowly in small amounts, while stirring constantly. Allow each portion of cheese to melt away before adding the next. Keep stirring.
8. Now add salt and pepper.
9. Next add worcestershire, tobasco, and beer; keep stirring.
10. Turn down the heat slightly and let simmer or serve. You can garnish each bowl with some finely chopped bacon and chives.